Wednesday 6 February 2013

New Years News

It sure has been a long time since I have posted on here. And this can only mean one thing.. I have a lot to catch you up on.

2013 has already proved to be an exciting year. I am working on some card ranges for great new clients, have an exhibition coming up very soon at Tigerprint Studios
http://www.tigerprint.typepad.com/ 
And Im having a wonderful time in my new studio in Peckham. On top of that I have a wonderful new part time job as Kitchen manager at Drink, Shop & Do where we have rolled out an amazing new afternoon tea and lots of other delicious treats. 

I'm going to start with some nice things to look at :) These are part of my valentines collection, which are avaiable at the following stockists:
http://www.reviewbookshop.co.uk/
http://www.swanfieldboutique.co.uk/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChloeBonfield
And through me directly if you email me at chloebonfield@googlemail.com







I have also been spending some time block printing fabrics to make into totes, little wee bags and pencil cases etc. Cant wait to start sewing. To celebrate this I thought I may give a little tutorial here on a great way to block print. I am starting to build up a collection of stamps. Cant wait to have so many I can fill a letterpress box(perfect excuse to buy one!)


 So here is a little tutorial on 'How to block print with an eraser'


- First source a good eraser. I have found out(through wonderful people at Tigerprint) that a large Helix one will do just fine. You will also need a tool. You can get lino cutting tools relatively cheaply from art shops and they last forever. I have also been using a little model making sculpting tool for any finer detail. 


- Next you want to use a biro to draw out your design. Biro's are great because they don't need time to dry. Remember when making your design that what ever you want to be blocked out you should keep and whatever you want 'white' you cut out. Also remember that any text will be printed backwards. So draw it out in reverse. 






- Now it's time to start cutting. The eraser means it is so much easier to cut than lino. But it is also more fragile so do be careful. Remember to cut in long strips away from your body. Keep your supporting hand to the side of the tool at all times. They are really sharp and it really does hurt if you slip. 
Cut away everything you dont want to show up on the print. 






- You should now be left with your little stamp. To print you need to coat the stamp with a layer of ink.

This is entirely up to you, you can use printers ink, paint, whatever you would like to use for your purpose. I like to use ink or acrylic paint mixed with textile medium. This is great on heavy papers and means you can also use it to make textile work, and will stay waterproof. 






Things to remember:
Give the stamp a little coat of ink in between each stamp if you want to keep it consistant. Have a play around and see what comes out!





I used this technique to print these fabrics. I am working on a heavy canvas as I want to make some really durable products with them. 







 






I currently have lots of work at the Spring Fair at the NEC with my wonderful agents Bright. Looking forward to seeing what may come from that. And am working on a ranger for Next. Which is super exciting.

Another great 2013 treat was walking into Marks and Spencers and finding my card there on the shelf. This is the first of 2013 and it is so great to see it in print. 
There will be another at some time this year so I will keep you posted on that!



 With that sentiment I'll leave you for now. MORE SOON! :) 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment